0.3.16 in qemu

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Forever Winter

Re: 0.3.16 in qemu

Post by Forever Winter »

Well, I had better written "gcc is required to compile the KVM source, wich is included in cygwin".

There is not realy a Linux Kernel running besides the Windows kernel. The "Linux environment" are more a set of functions that KVM excepts and WinKVM translates into Windows equivalents. It's a bit like Win9x NTKERN.VXD, except that KVM is linked statically into the WinKVM driver. But yes, you can see it as a kind of "Cygwin for kernel mode" as well.

So functions, that the KVM part calls are located in the WinKVM driver, wich forwards the to the Windows Kernel.
It's like I link a piece of Turbo C code into a Turbo Pascal program an call a function in the Turbo C part and vice-versa.

As of the stability, you are right, it is realy bad.

Ok, then now back to topic...
DRNewcomb

Post by DRNewcomb »

I loaded the 0.3.16 install disc image onto the Q (v. 0.9.0 based on QEMU) emulator running on a Mac Mini. It installed perfectly but when the emulator rebooted into ReactOS it presents the blue screen of death with a STOP 0X0000001E error and a reference to win32k.sys. When I reboot in debug mode it gets as far as loading AFD.sys then goes blank.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

DRNewcomb wrote:I loaded the 0.3.16 install disc image onto the Q (v. 0.9.0 based on QEMU) emulator running on a Mac Mini. It installed perfectly but when the emulator rebooted into ReactOS it presents the blue screen of death with a STOP 0X0000001E error and a reference to win32k.sys. When I reboot in debug mode it gets as far as loading AFD.sys then goes blank.
Hi DRNewcomb! Can you please retest with a daily build (available at: http://www.reactos.org/getbuilds)? Choose a bootcd-xxxx-dbg version (not a rel), and retest. If the problem still appears, can you provide a debug log? Thanks!
DRNewcomb

Post by DRNewcomb »

hbelusca wrote: Hi DRNewcomb! Can you please retest with a daily build (available at: http://www.reactos.org/getbuilds)? Choose a bootcd-xxxx-dbg version (not a rel), and retest. If the problem still appears, can you provide a debug log? Thanks!
I did that and the results are much improved. It did hang the first time ReactOS ran the setup wizard. The cursor would move about but it would not respond to clicks. This was at the localization settings window. I rebooted the emulator and selected debug mode. This time everything ran properly. The Wine gecko (?) package downloaded, installed, rebooted. It could not find the audio driver. I'll have to change the emulator settings and see what happens.

BTW, it's been a while since I messed around with ReactOS, so it might help to consider me a bit of a newb.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Hi! Fine to hear that finally latest builds of ROS boot fine on your emulator. The problem you're mentioning:
DRNewcomb wrote:It did hang the first time ReactOS ran the setup wizard. The cursor would move about but it would not respond to clicks. This was at the localization settings window.
was already reported: http://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-7013 and a priori fixed. If the problem still exists then please reopen the report.
kaesekuchen

Post by kaesekuchen »

ssam wrote:with

Code: Select all

-usbdevice tablet
it i get working mouse on 0.3.16 and bootcd-62690
I tried the same using qemu 2.1.2 (Fedora 21) and exactly the same boot image (bootcd-62690-dbg) but failed, the mouse does not work here. I also tried the image bootcd-64717-rel, same result.

So it seems to me that the "tablet" workaround does not work anymore when using qemu 2.1.2. Can anybody comfirm this?

Correction: Using

qemu-kvm -m 1024 -hda reactos.qcow2 -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user  -boot c -usbdevice tablet
works indeed but I fail to use virsh using

<input type='tablet' bus='usb'/>
within reactos.xml. So anybody here who get it working using virsh, virt-manager or Gnome Boxes? (But I guess I should make this an extra thread...)
justincase

Post by justincase »

Did you restart libvirt?
I'm not running Linux at the moment, but according to http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/kvm-mouse-integration you need to restart libvirt after you've edited the xml file and before you start up the virtual machine.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
kaesekuchen

Post by kaesekuchen »

justincase wrote:I'm not running Linux at the moment, but according to http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/kvm-mouse-integration you need to restart libvirt after you've edited the xml file
If you don't edit the xml file directly but use "virsh edit reactos" instead one does not need to restart libvirt. But to get sure I just rebooted the PC but this has no effect, the mouse still does not work when starting the image via virsh or the Virt Manager but works fine when starting exactly the same image file via qemu-kvm plus options.
justincase

Post by justincase »

Sorry, I don't have much experience with virtual machines on Linux.
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I noticed that most of the information I could find about what you're trying to do shows

<input type='tablet' bus='usb'/>
but my experience with XML tells me there should be a space before the slash, so did you try this?

<input type='tablet' bus='usb' />
If that doesn't work either, I also noticed that most people also seem to include the standard PS/2 mouse, so perhaps you should also try it with vs without

<input type='mouse' bus='ps2' />
(and that with and without the space before the slash)

Other than that I don't think I can help. :oops: Perhaps someone else will drop by who has more experience than me.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.